Business Occupancy Permit
In order to open a new business in the City of El Monte, the Planning Division must ensure that the type of business is consistent with zoning standards. The City has several zones that only allow certain types of uses.
Steps for Applying for a Business Occupancy Permit (BOP):
- Call 626-258-8626, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit the Planning Counter to speak with a Planner to ensure the property is in an allowed zone for your intended business. Planning Division counter hours are Monday & Wednesday from 7:30AM to 12:30PM and Tuesday & Thursdays from 7:30AM to 5:00PM.
- If it is an allowed use, proceed with applying for a Business Occupancy Permit and Business License using the following link:https://elmonte.hdlgov.com/.
- Please be advised that BOP application, site plan, floor plan, and letter of intent are required to be submitted (applications and sample of required documents will be provided from the website listed above).
- Maintenance Agreement may be required, if an industrial use in Manufacturing zones. The Planner will notify you of this requirement.
- Upon approval from Planning Division of your BOP application, Building & Safety will contact you to schedule an inspection.
- Get Fire Department Approval and/or inspection.
- Upon all approvals and fees, your Business License and Business Occupancy Permit will be mailed to your address.