CITY OF EL MONTE ZONING CODE UPDATE & TAX INCREMENT FINANCING (TIF) FEASIBILITY STUDY
What is the Zoning Code?
The City of El Monte is in the process of completing a comprehensive update of its Zoning Code. The Zoning Code outlines what uses can go in different areas of the City. In addition, it provides the rules residents, business owners and developers must follow when constructing new or adding onto existing housing units or commercial square footage. The Zoning Code also includes the zoning map, which is a visual illustration of El Monte’s various zoning districts (e.g. single-family, mixed-use and manufacturing).
What are the update's main goals?
The main goal of the update is to create a concise and user-friendly set of regulations that implements El Monte’s General Plan (the long range document that outline’s the City’s vision for future growth). Other key objectives include the following:
• Streamline the review process where appropriate;
• Incorporate feedback gathered by residents, property owners and business persons;
• Consolidate zoning districts that allow most of the same uses and have very similar development standards.
• Protect residential neighborhoods and other sensitive uses from impacts such as traffic and noise; and
• Comply with State and federal requirements and current case law.
TAKE THE ONLINE SURVEY:
On October 20, 2021, a Virtual Community Meeting was held to share information on the update and gather community input. There will be other opportunities to provide input as the Zoning Code Updates move forward through the public hearing process.
People can also email their comments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
City Council Meetings
Planning Commission Meetings
- Study Session (8/24/21)
- Study Session (9/14/21)
- Study Session (10/12/2021