adult-use and medicinal COMMERCIAL CANNABIS
On December 3, 2019, the El Monte City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2960, which authorized adult-use and medicinal commercial cannabis retail, cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and testing in El Monte.
Specifically, retail is permitted “by right” in the SP-4 (Downtown Specific Plan), MMU (Mixed/Multi-use), C-O (Commercial Office), C-1 (Limited Commercial), C-2 (Retail Commercial), C-3 (General Commercial), C-4 (Heavy Commercial), M-1 (Light Manufacturing) and M-2 (General Manufacturing). Cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and microbusinesses are permitted “by right” in the C-3 (the portion on the north side of Valley Boulevard east of Garvey Avenue), M-1 and M-2. Testing is permitted “by right” in the C-O, C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4, M-1 and M-2 zones.
Applications are limited to the following:
- Licensees that were issued a commercial medicinal cannabis business permit, Conditional Use Permit (CUP) or Development Agreement (DA) under City of El Monte Ordinance No. 2924 (regardless whether it was rescinded or not) prior to September 13, 2019; or
- Licensees that submitted an application for a commercial medicinal cannabis permit under Ordinance No. 2924 prior to September 13, 2019.
In addition, applications for retail are limited to individual owner(s) of the applicant with an aggregate interest of 20% or more that have served as an owner or manager of one or more other cannabis retailers licensed by a city, county, city/county or state since at least December 1, 2018.
NOTE: BECAUSE OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 5:00 P.M. ON JUNE 15, 2020.
REQUESTS FOR LETTER OF ZONING COMPLIANCE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 5:00 P.M. ON JUNE 4, 2020.
Main Application Submittal Information:
- Commercial Cannabis Business Application (CCBA) (Revised March 30, 2020)
- Application Procedures and Guidelines (Revised June 1, 2020)
NOTE: Where application procedures are not prescribed in Section 5.18.080 for non-retail applications, the procedures for retail applications set forth in Section 5.18.070 shall apply.”
*Live Scan – DOJ/FBI Fingerprinting for Out of State Applicants (NEW June 1, 2020) For out of state applicants where the subject state is not able to use California Live Scan ORI and Mail Code numbers, please complete the Live Scan process in the subject state and provide valid proof of Live Scan conducted from the Live Scan service provider.
Please be aware that applicants cannot move forward to Phase 4 until it has been confirmed by the El Monte Police Department that a California Live Scan application has been submitted and cleared for each Owner/Manager.
- Cannabis Application Questions & Answers (Revised June 1, 2020)
- Commercial Cannabis Business License Application – June 15, 2020
- Medicinal Commercial Cannabis Applications – September 13, 2019
- List of Medicinal Commercial Cannabis Business Applications Submitted Prior to September 13, 2019 (Added March 30, 2020)
- Maps (to be used for guidance)
- List of Application Fees
- City Council Fee Resolution No. 10091
- City Council Ordinance No. 2960
- Exhibit A to City Council Ordinance No. 2960
- 2011 General Plan
- General Plan Land Use Diagram (updated in 2019)
- El Monte Zoning Code
- El Monte Zoning Map (updated in 2019)