adult-use and medicinal COMMERCIAL CANNABIS
On December 3, 2019, the El Monte City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2960, which authorized adult-use and medicinal commercial cannabis retail, cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and testing in El Monte.
Specifically, retail is permitted “by right” in the SP-4 (Downtown Specific Plan), MMU (Mixed/Multi-use), C-O (Commercial Office), C-1 (Limited Commercial), C-2 (Retail Commercial), C-3 (General Commercial), C-4 (Heavy Commercial), M-1 (Light Manufacturing) and M-2 (General Manufacturing). Cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and microbusinesses are permitted “by right” in the C-3 (the portion on the north side of Valley Boulevard east of Garvey Avenue), M-1 and M-2. Testing is permitted “by right” in the C-O, C-1, C-2, C-3, C-4, M-1 and M-2 zones.
Applications are limited to the following:
- Licensees that were issued a commercial medicinal cannabis business permit, Conditional Use Permit (CUP) or Development Agreement (DA) under City of El Monte Ordinance No. 2924 (regardless whether it was rescinded or not) prior to September 13, 2019; or
- Licensees that submitted an application for a commercial medicinal cannabis permit under Ordinance No. 2924 prior to September 13, 2019.
In addition, applications for retail are limited to individual owner(s) of the applicant with an aggregate interest of 20% or more that have served as an owner or manager of one or more other cannabis retailers licensed by a city, county, city/county or state since at least December 1, 2018.
NOTE: BECAUSE OF THE COVID-19 PANDEMIC, THE DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 5:00 P.M. ON MAY 14, 2020.
REQUESTS FOR LETTER OF ZONING COMPLIANCE HAS BEEN EXTENDED TO 5:00 P.M. ON MAY 4, 2020
Main Application Submittal Information:
- Commercial Cannabis Business Application (CCBA) (Revised March 30, 2020)
- Application Procedures and Guidelines (Revised March 30, 2020)
- Cannabis Application Questions & Answers (Added March 30, 2020)
- List of Medicinal Commercial Cannabis Business Applications Submitted Prior to September 13, 2019 (Added March 30, 2020)
- Maps (to be used for guidance)
- List of Application Fees
- City Council Fee Resolution No. 10091
- City Council Ordinance No. 2960
- Exhibit A to City Council Ordinance No. 2960
- 2011 General Plan
- General Plan Land Use Diagram (updated in 2019)
- El Monte Zoning Code
- El Monte Zoning Map (updated in 2019)